BEDCO is a 501 c 3 non-profit organization that was established in the 1980’s. This grassroots community development group is comprised of volunteers who live or work in the Borough and are interested in improving the community.
BEDCO has a proven track record. The group has undertaken numerous economic development and neighborhood stabilization projects in the community. Working with several partners including Mon Valley Initiative (MVI), BEDCO has completed the following projects in Braddock over the last few years.
- 13 newly constructed housing units
- 5 owner occupied home rehabs, located in close proximity to 7 of the newly constructed homes. These were done in conjunction with a total make-over and modernization of the public housing development at Mapleview Terrace (completed by Allegheny County Housing Authority).
- 9 rehabilitated, high quality affordable, rental units on Corey Avenue
- 5 newly constructed, high quality affordable, rental units on Corey Avenue
- 9 fully renovated “Rehab-for-Resale” Home Projects scattered throughout Braddock
- 20 new trees planted throughout the Community
- A market restoration study for Braddock Avenue in partnership with MVI
- 24 newly constructed housing units on the old Braddock Hospital site
We have several projects currently underway including:
- Construction of a new commercial facility along Braddock Ave
- Street beautification projects along Braddock Avenue
- Support and assistance with several other organizations providing youth programming in Braddock